Sunday, January 27, 2008

On Being Anal about AWP Prep


So Wednesday, I’ll be in New York for the 2008 AWP (The Association of Writers and Writing Programs—I know what you’re thinking: why isn’t it AWWP?) conference, or as Heather likes to call this year: Bonnaroo for writers. It actually sold out. 7,000 emotionally scarred people who lack the skills to talk to one another converging on one place. Lots of brand-name writers will be there this year, probably because they can walk out of their Manhattan lofts and right into the hotel.

With three or so days to go, I’m finally thinking about the program. Heather (as per #3) informs me that she’s had her schedule planned for days with her first and second choice of sessions in case they fill up. She’s also penciled in time for off site activities like dinner out and a trip to MoMA. Derek calls and I try to make fun of Heather’s anal tendencies until he informs me that he’s already got his days mapped out, too.

So I'm going through the program with a highlighter. Circle, circle.

No comments: