Monday, March 2, 2009

I Am a Bad Person

So I was reading the essay The Unfinished: David Foster Wallace’s struggle to surpass “Infinite Jest.” that's in The New Yorker, and I couldn't get enough. The portrait of Wallace, the writing. The sadness. And in the back of my mind, I was wondering about when Pynchon and Salinger go, will there be essays like this. Surely, I thought, and when there are, I want to read them. That, I suppose, doesn't say much to my being "a fucking human being." Or maybe it says it all too well.

4 comments:

Derek Nikitas said...

read the same article, every word. it's probably just yet another thing white people like.

Alex said...

I didn't read the article, but I read the DFW article in Rolling Stone, and I don't know if I'm qualified to say this, but you're a horrible person.

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

I knew it! I'm a horrible white person! Thanks to you both...

David Erlewine said...

fhwp who LOVED that article and read it several times. my brother teaches at illinois weslyeyan (he just got there) so that's kind of weird to me. he hears all kinds of stuff about dfw.