Monday, August 31, 2009

The Death of Summer or How I Draw a Paycheck


School is in. And responsibilities loom over my puttering around. Which often, inexplicably, means I get more puttering done. Not really inexplicable because I have to prioritize my puttering, put my puttering first. These are things I've learned from the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, which I have never read but bought for a quarter at a garage sale from someone I suspect had not read it either. Point being, I'm teaching again. Shaping young minds. I try not to think about that too much. It's paralyzing if you do. Like the Larkin poem: "They fuck you up, your mum and dad./ They may not mean to, but they do."

(pictured: goats puttering)

3 comments:

Molly McCaffrey said...

Love this entry so much, Craig, that I'm added to my assigned reading on blogs.

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

Thanks, Molly.

David Erlewine said...

ha, my dad tried getting me to read the 7 habits book for years.

that larkin quote is great (another thing my dad has tried getting me to read...but i should read more larkin).

good luck with the new school year, bud.