Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm Off to...Denver

Going to AWP this year seems to be a little contentious. Maybe it is every year and I just don’t pay attention. I don’t pay much attention. At any rate if you’re not going, you can attend Meg Pokrass’s A Barbaric yAWP Party. Same difference. Probably more fun—less flying at least.

But I’m bound for Denver, and I am ready for my AWP experience. I have everything I need:


√A leather bound notebook so that I can write while other people are just talking about writing.

√A laptop to sit in the free Wi-Fi lobby and blog about the conference.

√An odd hat so people will look at me.

√An odd pair of shoes so that when people are looking down and don’t see my hat they will notice my shoes and look at me.

√Pre-prepared questions/comments (mostly comments) that are so good they will prove that I am smarter than the people on the panel and that I should have been up there in the first place.

√A limber neck so that I can scan the Bookfair as I talk to someone in case there is someone more important I should be talking to.

√Nonalcoholic whiskey to use for shots with other writers who are using actual whiskey so that I can drink them under the table and thus prove I am a better writer.

My wife--step one in entourage creation.

Away we go.

3 comments:

Jason Jordan said...

Have fun, Craig. Wish I could make it this year, but maybe I'll be in D.C.

Meg Pokrass said...

if you can sneak away, ha, come visit. The gift store? A movie? You would be a natural yawper!

S. Craig Renfroe Jr. said...

Jason, hope to see you in D.C.

Meg, I'll try to make it. But I am busy networking in my hotel room with the actors on Showtime.