Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Am Braver Than Henry Miller





That's right, the big man who broke literary boundaries and wrote the risque Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn is a coward when it comes to cold, dark, wet confined spaces. He twice visited Mycenae, an ancient Greek hilltop fortress, home of the Mycenaen empire. Each time he attempted to climb down the winding steps that lead into the underground cistern:

"Thinking back on it now, after a lapse of months, I honestly believe that I would rather be shot than forced to descend that staircase alone. In fact, I think I would die of heart failure before ever reaching the bottom."
--- Henry Miller, The Colossus of Maroussi (1941)


Go to this Henry Miller blog to read more about his cowardice.



Not only did I descend the staircase, I reached the bottom. Along with a lot of other tourists. Here's the picture to prove it...okay that's not me, but a bunch of my students--I'm the one at the bottom taking the picture.

So there Henry Miller.

5 comments:

Melody Clayton said...

wonder what Freud would have to say about that?

Now we have PROOF beyond all doubt that you are far superior to that wiener Henry Miller...as if we really needed hard cold evidence....we know from your writing that you are the better man and the most talented...and need I say the better looking of the two?

So can I borrow a buck or two?

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

I think Freud would say that the cistern entrance bears a striking resemblence to a vagina....

And I wish I was better than Miller...but thanks for saying so...

Cash is in the mail. Will you take Euros? You should because it's killing the dollar and me while I'm over here.

Melody Clayton said...

euros would be great.

Anonymous said...

i dunno would you fuck a married chick who fucked your girlfriend AND her own father? i think miller's got you beat in verisimilar sexual bravery even if you got im beat metaphorically

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

Oh, Anonymous,

You're assuming I haven't had sexual intercourse with a married chick who has had sexual intercourse with my girlfriend and her own father...

And you would be right.