Thursday, June 12, 2008

Art of the Book


Lately, I've been thinking about the book as a work of art.

  1. I got my copy of Michael Chabon's Maps and Legends published by McSweeney's. And Heather can't get over how good the book looks. She's even told other couples at dinner engagements, like she's bragging on her child, which I, of course, find cute. And McSweeney's always has killer books, things so crafted I sometimes fear I'm ruining them in the reading. But hell, a good book should be worn in some way--the way all the best people have a kind of haggardness about them.
  2. Melody sent me a link to BOOK, a website about a group of artists that trade a sketchbook back and forth (pictured). Not to mention that Melody introduced me to the author I think of when I think of the book as artwork: Alasdair Gray, who designs and illustrates his own books.
  3. I have this yearning to commit art. The phrasing is intentional as it would feel and probably look like I committed murder.

4 comments:

Pete said...

Chabon's book is indeed a beauty. And after reading the first few pages of his Arthur Conan Doyle chapter at the bookstore, I can safely say it looks like the writing is top-notch as well.

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

Pete,

That is the best of books when the outside and the inside are both works of art.

Pete said...

I think I'll treat myself to this book as a Father's Day gift.

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

Good idea, Pete.