Friday, August 1, 2008

Do You Know What’s Fun?

Gargling. That’s what. Good time. I was brushing my teeth, which I find laborious and so try to distract myself by thinking of things, though my dentist may be upset that I don’t keep my head in the game. So I thought about gargling and how I don’t do it much anymore. I used to in my youth. Why? Was it with mouthwash? Because I just swish that stuff around now. Am I doing it wrong? And I remember gargling salt water for some reason…medicinal? But that doesn’t seem wise. So after spitting and rinsing, I gargled. And do you know, despite the lack of practice…I still got it.

2 comments:

Alex said...

That's it...I'm gargling tonight. Which reminds me: what's the deal with the fluoride we used to be forced to use in school and the dentist? At some point, the dentist just stopped doing it. I asked why, and he said, "oh, you're too old now." Too old? Too old for what? Retaining my teeth in working condition? And was I alone in having my teachers at school make me gargle with fluoride? How strange was that...educators put in the role of dental hygienists? Why not have elementary teachers perform eye exams and hernia explorations? "I have a question, Mrs. Fladd (my 5th grade teacher). No. It doesn't concern the Magna Carta. It concerns my magna hemorrhoid." And with that, I have single-handedly lowered the bar on the I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TAKING ABOUT taste scale. Sorry about that.

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

Alex,

No need to apologize. I think you greatly exaggerate the height of the taste bar here at I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. And you clearly demonstrate how much fun the lows can be...

Also, my 5th grade teacher did give me a hernia exam...should I be concerned about that?