Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Your Delicious Recipe from Some Old Books I Found


Today's recipe...actually this is the first recipe I've blogged. It comes from one of the books I usually peruse late at night for etiquette advice. Earlier I told Heather she had a lot of "pigs in the fire." I realize that should be "irons in the fire." But pigs work for me and may explain this...

Anyway, today's recipe comes from Household Discoveries and Mrs. Curtis’s Cook Book 1909 (The Success Company):

Broiled Pigs' Feet. Scrape the feet and wash them thoroughly, soak in cold water two hours, then wash and scrape again. Split each in half lengthwise, and tie the pieces separately in pieces of cheese cloth. Place in a deep saucepan, cover with boiling water, add 1 tablespoonful salt, and simmer slowly until the feet are tender usually about four hours. Take them from the liquor and set aside until cold; remove the cloths; they are ready then to be broiled in the following: 2 tablespoonfuls butter, 1 tablespoonful lemon juice 1/2 teaspoonful salt, Dash McIlhenny's Tabasco Sauce, 1/2 tablespoonful finely chopped parsley. Cream the butter. Work gradually into it lemon juice, salt, tabasco, and parsley. After removing the cloth from each piece, brush with melted butter and dust with salt and pepper. Broil over a clear fire for six minutes. Transfer to a hot platter, and spread with prepared butter. The pigs' feet may be prepared the day before needed.

That's right, the day before needed...

3 comments:

Mel said...

oh my god that's gross...your vegetarian friends are horrified beyond belief

Heather said...

. . . and your girlfriend is horrified by the number of grammatical mistakes in that post.
They let you educate the youth?

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

Mel, being a meat eater I still agree that is gross.

Heather, I don't know what you are talking about. I don't see any mistakes. (The power of revision! That's what I teach the youth!)