Thursday, August 7, 2008

Melville on Blogging

"I talk all about myself, and this is selfishness and egotism. Granted. But how help it? I am writing to you; I know little about you, but something about myself so I write about myself, -- at least, to you. Don't trouble yourself, though, about writing; and don't trouble yourself about visiting; and when you do visit, don't trouble yourself about talking. I will do all the writing and visiting and talking myself."

--from a letter to Nathaniel Hawthorne from Herman Melville

2 comments:

Pete said...

I don't know whether that makes Melville a shameless narcissist or just a brutally honest one.

Mel said...

sounds like something I'd say....we all know I'm just pure ego...see...I've even made THIS about me...I'm so vain...I know that song was about me...