Monday, September 22, 2008

Elephant Ear vs. Funnel Cake



So a few weeks ago we went to the Greek Festival to enjoy the culture, i.e. the food. And last weekend, we went to the Festival in the Park to enjoy the art, i.e. the food. Though, I did not this year have a turkey leg & foot-long corn dog sword fight in my stomach because I actually escaped without eating anything. But food could not escape my attention. What, I asked, is an elephant ear? A funnel cake like thing, came the answer. What then is the difference between them? I was proud of my question at this point because I'm teaching Socrates and I felt he would have been pleased. I don't know, came the reply. But tonight, we have it on good authority that an elephant ear is bread fried while the funnel cake is fried batter. There you go, another mystery solved. Sleep soundly.

4 comments:

David Jack Bell said...

My sister has a friend who used to go to the food booth at fairs and say, "Do you have elephant ears?" And when the person would say yes, she'd say, "Well just wear a big hat and no one will notice."

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr. said...

In that case, I think we should declare elephant ear the winner because funnel cake doesn't provide the same opportunity to be as funny.

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ, my pops yell to my mom (in the middle of a highly populated area).... "Ha hun, do u wanna Funnel Cake right now, u what that white stuff on top don't cha". People thought he yell fornicate instead of funnel cake...lol

Anonymous said...

Elephant Ears = Fried dough (more flexible)

Funnel Cakes = Fried batter (more runny)