Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Will Defiantly Go

So I'm grading. My favorite part of teaching. If only I could just grade--that would be the best. Not to sound like the curmudgeonly old man that I will inevitably become, chasing kids out of my yard with leaf blowers or chainsaws, you know, whatever's handy, but I have to say: "definitely" is not spelled "defiantly." Though, I see it misspelled that way so often why don't we just change the spelling? It would cause me less stress. And hey, most of the time it fits. I think it's defiantly a good idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may be on to something, I believe a few weeks ago there was an article floating around about a British professor having a similar idea. We should accept spellings that are phonetically correct, even if it isn't the accepted spelling right now. If he gets his way you'd have to except definatly phore shure.