Monday, December 8, 2008

Your Etiquette Advice from Some Old Books I Found


So my computer has been sick. Ill. So I did what any normal, rational person would do: I cursed until my throat closed shut. And then I flipped it the bird several times, while keeping my cool enough not to jump up and down on it in nihilistic glee.

Which brings me to today's etiquette advice. Last time it was on being a good conversationalist. And what is conversation made up of but words. This tip comes from American Etiquette and Rules of Politeness 1884 (Rand, McNally & Co.):

Vulgar Exclamations

Such exclamations as "The Dickens," or "Mercy," or "Good Gracious," should never be used. If you are surprised or astonished, suppress the fact. Such expressions border closely on profanity.


Mercy, I'm going to beat the dickens out this dag-blasted machine. Good gracious,
this has been your etiquette advice from some old books I found.

No comments: