Monday, January 14, 2008

Ishtar…or what the hell is wrong with me?


So I’m working on THE NOVEL. God I hate this thing. And I’m beginning to hate the person I was in grad school. Today, I revised a section where one character compares another character to Ishtar. Not the much maligned but magnificent ‘80s movie starring Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman—all right I’ve never actually seen that film because of all that much maligning but now I feel honor bound to. No, not that Ishtar, but rather the Babylonian goddess of sex and war. I had one character in dialogue tell another character she was just like Ishtar…at length, as in pages. What was wrong with me? Most of my grad school buddies were writing hardcore sex scenes and the older Southern lady novelists were crying over it and I was writing about Ishtar. Okay, I probably just imagined all the sex writing. But Ishtar…really?

1 comment:

MEL said...

I can't even bring myself to open a file from grad school....the titles alone embarrass me...At least our best work is still ahead? Is that comforting? I don't know...