Thursday, January 24, 2008

Your Etiquette Advice from Some Old Books I Found


I am an incorrigible bibliophile and collect virtually any book, but I have a special soft spot for antiquated books on etiquette or self-help. I find them to be lost resources to combat the barbarism of today’s impolite world.

Today’s advice is from:

Household Discoveries and Mrs. Curtis’s Cook Book 1909 (The Success Company)

Under Toilet Preparations for Men

Eyebrows and Eyelashes.—In general the less attention paid to these features the better The practice of attempting to deepen the color of the eyes by darkening the lids or lashes is a dangerous one…. Clipping the eyelashes is, on the whole, a dangerous practice, as it tends to thicken them and cause them to become stiff like bristles.

Beware the eyebrow and eyelash maintenance. This has been your etiquette advice from some old books I found.

1 comment:

MEL said...

I love those books too....my favorites are from the 40s and 50s on grooming for teenage girls...a favorite for me is Betty Betz party book and Your Manners are Showing by Betty Betz (1946). Fun stuff. I go through collection phases...right now it's 1st person accounts of madness